![]() |
(c) www.portsmouthvideos.co.uk 2025 |
Eastney Beam Engine House Video Associated Web Link: www.visitportsmouth.co.uk/things-to-do/eastney-beam-engine-house-p221351
Transcript Of Narration
The pumps had to operate to lift the waste from the lower pipe up to a higher level sewer which continued into the tide mouth of Langstone Harbour. The pumps had to stop during high tide and the sewers became blocked. In 1886 two powerful engines were built and installed. The two engines were supplied by James Watt of Birmingham and after 67 years are in superb condition. In 1954 the maintenance of the engines and pumps for standby use was discontinued and the restoration of the beam engine house began. It was opened to the public on 30th June 1972 and provides a fine example of a steam powered beam engine. The beam engine house is maintained by volunteers and so is only open to the public on the last weekend of every month. |